WELCOME!

WELCOME!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Copyright in a Digital Age

Is sampling a form of copyright infringement?

I do believe that sampling without permission  is a form of copyright infringement. I think no matter how long the sample is whether it is 3 seconds or 1 minute, you should ask before you use it. Especially if you are getting paid for success on a track. You owe a small percent of that to the owner of that sample. I do not, however, think that the owner should become so disgruntled about the situation and take it to court in a nasty way. If anything, the new artist is bringing attention to your old and played out song. For example, when I hear a song with a sample in it, I try and figure out where it came from and I even end up liking the original better. 

Does repurposing a piece of music al ways have a detrimental effect on the way the original recording is perceived? Does it always cut into the profits of the owner of the original recording?

In most cases, repurposing the music does not have a damaging effect on the original meaning of the song. I think when someone samples your music, it is a form of idolization and respect.  would feel flattered if an artist chose to sample a piece of my work, as long as they acknowledged my effort and cut me a check.

Igor Stravinsky, who once said, “A good composer does not imitate; he steals.” Was Stravinsky condoning plagiarism and copyright infringement? What did he mean?

I don't think Stravinsky is condoning plagiarism at all. hee is saying that a real artist does not take someone else's work exactly as it is and call it their own craftsmenship. They take that piece and recreate it to express their own sense of style. Even the old Jazz band player in the film says that some people are so good that you can't even recognize that they took a sample of his work.


No comments:

Post a Comment